Friday, January 23, 2009

Psalm 59

1. A poem written by David (about when Saul commanded David’s house to be guarded to kill David). For the permanent collection - do not destroy.

Rescue and safely protect me from those who hate me, my Mighty God. 2 Snatch me away from crooked and fraudulent mischief makers and set me free from those trying to kill me. 3 Cruel, harsh people set traps to ambush me, (but it isn’t because I rebelled against You or missed Your plan for me, Lord). 4 – 5 They rush upon me in a hostile way, so be extra alert and care about me, Supreme God – You who are in charge of your earth family. Attentively watch what everyone is doing but don’t show favor to those who treacherously cause trouble and refuse to agree with You.

6 – 7 Like a pack of dogs prowling around at night, they growl and are boisterously fierce. Their words, like garbage, gush out sharp and acrid because they think “who cares?”.

8 But You, Supreme Lord, will not only annul their words into ridiculous jokes, but all who don’t respect and love You will end up in a stammering condition.

9 I will celebrate how strong and powerful You are, my Judge, Ruler and secure Refuge. 10 You eagerly anticipate what I need and let me see Your responses to my oppressors.

11 – 12 Don’t kill them, though, lest my family forgets.

Excellent Lord (You who have protected us) cause them, as vagabonds, to wander as they sink down under their burden of guilt of proud attitudes and lying, poisonous words which broke Your covenant. 13 Let those intense emotions exhaust them, until they learn by experience that the Almighty God is still in authority in the whole world.

14 – 15 O.K. Let them loudly growl and noisily complain, like a pack of dogs prowling around at night as they wander outside the protected place – grumbling because they aren’t satisfied.

16 But I will celebrate Your conquering boldness with singing. Yes, I will shout with rejoicing in the morning about Your goodness and faithfulness. You have been my stronghold and way of escape when my enemies were after me. 17 I make joyful music to You, God, for You are my benevolent, Love Power.

No comments: