Saturday, December 8, 2007

Psalm 35

1. By David.
(his requests to God)
My Creator, in your intense power come near to those who 'feed' on me (in their attempt to consume me); toss those who are against me.
2. Fasten me to You; defend and guard me. Rise up and surround me to protect me.
3. Pour out Your power, stopping those who oppose me. Remind me: "I set you free."
4. Let those chasing after me get so emotionally wounded that they are entirely confused even as they fabricate plots to spoil me, thus making me worthless and good for nothing.
5 - 6. Let the wind of Your messenger running and chasing after them press upon them even while the course of life they have chosen is making them miserable and lonely.
(Expressing his feelings)
7. For no good reason they have secretly tried to ruin me and even to destroy my life.
8. Let the very destruction they planned for me come upon them by surprise.
9. I will dance for joy as I praise the Creator for setting me free and making me safe.
10. Every part of me will say "Lord, who else but You snatches those who accept Your will away from those who are violently bold? You alone rescue those who choose to belong to You from those who would rob them of everything - even their life."
11. People falsely testified that I did things I don't even know anything about.
12. They treated me bad to try to make me suffer even though I treated them good.
13 - 14. But when they got sick or had problems I felt sorry for them as if they were a brother, or a good friend. I prayed to God for them - at times just quietly in my heart, while at other times as intensely as though I were mourning for my own mother.
15 -16. But when I stumbled or fell, however, they feasted, and together with other mean, hypocritical mockers gossiped about my faults, even painting their faces to ridicule me all the time, and all this was going on without my knowledge.
(Petition to God concerning his situation)
17. Sovereign God - You who are in full control - how long will You just watch? Rescue me, as well as my loved ones, from destruction by those people acting like wild lions!
(Faith based response)
18. With many others I hold out my hands to You in reverent worship, praising you by sharing what You are really like and relating what great things You have done.
(Reviewing perceptions)
19. Don't let those who hate me wrongfully get satisfaction or profit because of me.
20 - 21. They're not trying to make peace. They arrange deceptive situations to make it look like they know things they don't really know, then they falsely testify that they have evidence against me - simply to disrupt peace.
(Prayer)
22 - 23. You, O Self-Existent One, have seen what has been going on. Please don't leave me alone. Always stay close enough to hear me. And even more, my Supreme Sovereign, do something to vindicate and defend.
24. Govern me, O Supreme Creator according to your right way.
24-25. Don't let those who would destroy me gloat over me - even in their hearts - thinking, "Aha, he is destroyed just as we wanted it to happen to him".
26. Let anyone become pale and confused who gets excited when I hurt. Wrap them up as discarded idols in disgrace who put themselves over me.
27. Let those who agree with my choice to belong to God be joyful. With shouting declare: "Let the Creator who made a love covenant with His servants be magnified."
28. I will keep pondering God's rightness and equity. I will praise You, Creator, all day long.

No comments: