Friday, December 19, 2008

Psalm 55

1. A contemplative, minstrel type song written by king David for the permanent collection.
(prayer)
Listen carefully to my earnest petition, Divine Judge and don't hide your mercy and grace from me. 2 Please hear and answer me otherwise I'm aimlessly wandering around as I grumblingly complain to myself. 3 Those angry with me noisily have made accusing me of all sorts of crimes and unjustly opposing me in hostile ways. 4 - 5 The horrible accusations hurt me so bad I feel like I'm dying - my whole body shakes and shudders. 6 - 7 O, if I had wings I would fly away to some far off hideaway, make a nest and quietly rest. (music pause) 8 I'd quickly slip away from this whirling tempest. 9 - 11 Lord, let their own confusing words fall back on them.

(contrasting other previous problems with current challenge)
I have seen what happens when city people get violent, quarrel and fight. Day and night that kind of person looks trouble and then rushes headlong into it. Violence and treachery never ceases in the city streets. 12 - 14 But my problem right now isn't a foreign adversary attacking me (I could take that), or a public enemy twisting things out of proportion against me (I even know how to handle them). My real problem is that you (the one against me right now) used to be a personal, intimate friend of mine. We enjoyed doing things together, accepting each other's counsel and even unitedly worshiping God.
(Response and request for an answer) 15 Let death come to you. But if you still live, let it be in exile because of your inurious, malignant thoughts and enotions. 16 - 17 As for me, I will loudly petition the True Judge every morning and evening as well as throughout the day. He will listen to me and victoriously set me free. 18 - 19 He has already given me His peace in my heart from this conflict - because many others have petitioned the True God for me. With the voice of singing the Mighty God will grant my request, since He is and always has been around.
(underlying problems) It is because people haven't matured that they don't respect the Supreme Judge and reverently submitted to Him. 20 - 21 We were in a covenant of peace between us, but war broke out in your heart. Your words were soft, tender and flattering - but really (but hypocritical), for since you violated our covenant you 'divorced' yourself from it.
(conclusions)
22 Let God carry the burden of what He permits to happen - we can't handle it -but He cares completely for you. He will never allow those who belong to Him to be removed or turned from His right way. 23 But You, Mighty God, will let those who are dumb and stupid concerning Your will for them sink down into deep depression. Those who are crafty and treacherous will often die early. But as far as I am concerned, I choose to be confident in God's love plan for me.

No comments: