Sunday, November 22, 2009

Psalm 69

1 For the permanent music collection, (with instrumental accompaniment) written by David.


Set me free, O God, for I have been violently abused. 2 It’s like I’ve been plunged deep into a flood of overwhelming urine, with no place in the slippery mire even to put my feet. 3 My throat feels scorched and my eyes are worn out from crying, even as I’m still hoping and trusting in God, who is my Divine Judge. 4 Those who intensely hate me for no good reason (but are my enemies because they believe lies about me) are increasingly numerous – far more than the hairs on my head – and are determined to silence and destroy me. I even ‘returned’ things I didn’t ‘rob’ from others in the first place. 5 God, You are experiencing all of this with me, yet You don’t disown me even while I am being accused and treated as guilty.


6 Don’t let those who bind themselves tight to You in covenant relationship and truly strive to understand who You really are get disgraced, Great and Mighty Creator God, because of what has happened to me. 7 To reveal what You’re really like I’ve endured heaps of contempt and scorn. 8 – 9 My kinsfolk estranged me from them, my mother’s family considered me as illegitimate, and those who despise You heaped ridicule and scorn on me because my passionate loyalty to You fully controlled me.10 – 11 When I wept and fasted, I was scorned and despised. When I wore sackcloth, that too was misinterpreted. 12 Those who sat around gossiping complained about me and I was even taunted by the drunkards.


13 But as for me, Creator God, I sing to You, appropriately about my own personal experience. My Supreme Judge, because of how much You love me, sing joyfully to me of Your victorious faithfulness. 14 – 15 Pull me out of the mess I’m in (which is like sticky mire) and don’t let me get so stuck in the ‘slime’ that it engulfs me. Snatch me away from those who hate me (like pulling me out as from that overwhelming flood of urine) and don’t let me be swept away. 16 – 17 Surround me with Your singing, O God, because You eagerly desire to favor me and treat me excellently. Don’t hide, but rather turn Your face to look at me and express Your tender, loving affection in song as soon as possible, for I am in distress and being treated with deep hostility. 18 Come protectively near me and set me free because of those who hate me. 19 You intimately know all the scorn and contempt aimed at me. You felt the shame when I was stripped naked. You were pained by every disgraceful insult hurled at me. You personally experienced every act of abuse those oppressive, jealous rivals heaped on me.


20 Shameful scorn and contempt violently tore at my heart, sickening me. I hoped for at least one comforter, (someone who would unite with me) but no one had compassion or even tried to console me – not one! 21 – 22 Instead they offered me bitter poison as food and sour vinegar to quench my thirst. Let their table (the table of shewbread was the covenant symbol of Your nourishing care) become so ‘thin’ (empty) that they fall away (destroyed by refusing care) from You. 23 Let such darkness surround them (the candlestick represented their covenant relation with You to enlighten them) that they can no longer experience real joy at seeing Your face, resulting in their strength continuing to totter and deteriorate. 24 – 26 Pour out your love power on them with full intensity. But they will become so horrified, appalled and stunned that they will recede and back so far away that not one will remain in their family because They harassed and persecuted the One You smote, and caused mental grief by their gossip against the One You wounded (for their sakes). 27 – 28 Permit this guilt to be added to their present great guilt, which is already preventing them from personally knowing You. (Yes), even let their names be dropped from the registry of those who are honest with You.


29 – 31 Let me – humble yet grieving – be victoriously delivered and highly exalted by You, God. I will delightfully celebrate with song who You really are and what You are really like, thus powerfully revealing Your true character. That will give You more JOY than the most costly animal sacrifice given by leaders. 32 – 33 Those who meekly prefer to bear injuries rather than retaliate (to the one who hurt them) will experience JOY by seeing Your face, God. Those of you who persistently search to know the True and Mighty God will be restored, preserved and will mature. The Lord deeply cares for those of you who, realizing you can’t ‘make it’ without His help, have bound yourself to Him (in a binding, life covenant).


34 – 36 Let the whole universe join with everything and everyone on earth in singing to, boasting about and celebrating the True God. (Why?) He sets free those who choose to belong to Him. He rebuilds, restores and protects those families who choose His will for them and gives them a secure, quiet place to live. Those who delight in Him, identify with Him and have developed an intimate relationship with Him will live.

No comments: